Beginning in March of 2017, PowerPoint for PC in Office 365 automatically generates alt text for photographs by using intelligent services in the cloud.
PowerPoint does not generate alt text for drawn images, such as clip art, diagrams, or icons.
To review generated alt text, or add alt text to images without alt text, such as drawn images, take these steps:
If your image is a photograph:
- Right-click an image.
- Select Edit Alt Text to open the Alt Text pane.
- In the Alt Text pane, review the description in the text box.
- To accept the suggested text, close the Alt Text pane and return to the PowerPoint slide.
- To change the suggested alt text, type your preferred text in the box.
- Close the Alt Text pane and return to the PowerPoint slide.
If your image is an icon, clipart, or other image that is not a photograph:
- Right-click the image and select Format picture.
- In the Format Picture pane, select the Size and Properties icon and then choose Alt Text.
- In the Description text box, type the alt text for the image.
- Close the Format Picture pane and return to the PowerPoint slide.
For more hints and guidelines for writing good alt text, visit the page Writing for Accessibility: Alt Tags and Long Descriptions.