Hi, I’m Jay. Many of you in the Shocker Nation know me, and many of you do not. I’ve been with Instructional Design and Technology for exactly a year now, and it’s been a blast. When people ask what I do for IDT and the Media Resources Center (my title is Senior Educational Technologist), I always have to pause and think for a second, asking myself, “What don’t I do around here?” At first, that sounds a little arrogant, but it’s quite the opposite: I’m just wiggly. My career has been a mish-mash of so many different pursuits that I’ve had a little bit of experience with a lot of things: teaching, web design, photography, videography, graphic design, and on and on. I even built/renovated houses for a while and repaired truck transmissions for a bit. I’m just wiggly.
Some random fun facts about me:
1. I don’t use Facebook.
2. My favorite film director is Ang Lee.
3. The last book I read was The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman.
4. I was a Leo until they reorganized the zodiac, and now I’m a Cancer.
5. When I was little I wanted to be an archaeologist when I grew up.
6. My three go-to Pandora/Spotify stations at the moment are Philip Glass, RJD2, and Antonio Carlos Jobim.
7. My favorite president is Harry Truman.
I’m going to be writing a lot in upcoming months about accessible design, partly because it’s something of an obsession of mine, and partly because it needs to be everyone else’s obsession, as well. I’ve been affiliated with higher education for 25 years now, mainly because I strongly believe that ideas should be freely available and accessible to anyone who wants or needs them. I’ll try not to be too “soap boxy” about that, but hopefully I’ll end up being just “soap boxy” enough.