Welcome to Blackboard, Wichita State University’s Learning Management System (LMS). An LMS is an online learning environment that supports face-to-face, hybrid, flipped, and online instruction. Unlike an unprotected website environment, an LMS like Blackboard provides a FERPA compliant space for student learning. If you are teaching a course with component(s) that you would like to have be available through the Internet, please set up that material in Blackboard.
In order to be successful in Blackboard, here are the basic things you need to know:
- To log in to Wichita State’s Blackboard area, go to blackboard.wichita.edu. You can also log in from the Bb tab found on most Wichita.edu webpages. Please do not log in to Blackboard through the MyWSU interface as this will cause you login problems in Blackboard. Use your WSUID and password as your Blackboard credentials. If you have problems logging in, please submit a ticket through the OneStop.
- Blackboard has two types of spaces, “courses” and “organizations.” Courses are automatically generated from Banner records about one month before each term begins. Students are put in and taken out automatically depending on their enrollment status. Organizations look very much like courses but they are set up by WSU staff to support university organizations as needed.
- If you need to set up a course before one is automatically generated, you may request a blank course area by clicking here. We call these blank course areas “.dev shells.” The information you load into your .dev shell can be “rolled into” your live course once it is available.
- If you need an organization set up for a university student group, please contact Instructional Design and Access at IDA@Wichita.edu.
- Wichita State University’s Instructional Design and Access team (IDA) provides various templates for Blackboard courses. These are not typically required by departments, but they are helpful. If you are interested in the general university template, or if you want to see if your department has a departmental template, please click here.
- If you would like training in any aspect of Blackboard, you can access very short, targeted training videos developed by WSU’s IDA team specifically for WSU faculty. To access faculty training videos, click here. The IDA team also created student training videos, and you are encouraged to direct students to them. To find the student training videos, click here.
- If you are planning to teach a fully online or a hybrid course, please consider working through IDA’s FaST Start program. It will walk you through many critically important aspects of setting up, teaching, and then rolling over an online or hybrid course. Good luck with your Blackboard course! If you need any help at all, please contact your Instructional Design and Access team at IDA@Wichita.edu. IDA also maintains a blog site and a regular podcast, both of which can be accessed by clicking here.